He breeding stock should be selected when they reach 4 to 5 weeks old. The breeder should be selected from the biggest litter. In males, it’s very critical to see the existence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down from the body cavity at 12 weeks old.
- Extensive Sort of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding soon after weaning. Does are so mated once every 2.5 months. This is the best suited for tropical countries like India.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 weeks old.
- Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 months of age. Mating is performed immediately after kindling.
Always females should be put to the pencil of male to avoid fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest part of the day like early morning or late night. After successful breeding the male usually generates a normal cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the mating the male one needs to be removed from the cage. The male should not be greater than 3 to 4 days in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times a day. Both the sexes should reach 70 percent of the adult body weight.
The breeding season is all but throughout year.
Signals of heat in females
- Restlessness, Rubbing the chin on the sides of the cage.
- Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
- In heat, the female bunny accepts man, otherwise it rejects.
- In heat, the female assumes a typical pose known as”lordosis” in which the back is arched downward and hind quarter is raised.
- The female one in di-estrous phage crouch at the corner of the cage.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding happens after a week in intensive direction. But normally re-mating is shown one week before weaning.